Memorial Day week-end is officially the start of summer for most of us, especially for kids. I have so many fond memories of this relaxing three-day week-end including some that I am sure I share with you. Here goes!
- Boating and water skiing on a nearby lake. Our favorite was Lake Perry outside of Topeka, Kansas. One time I camped there with a childhood friend and nearly drowned in our tent from a torrential thunderstorm and a nearby tornado. We barely escaped to sleep the night away on higher ground.
- Swimming at the Holton public swimming pool, trying to learn to do a one-and-half, and listening to the radio always set to V100.
- Working as a grocery clerk and thinking everyone else was outdoors having so much fun without ME!
- Visiting graves of relatives and leaving bouquets of peonies.
- Churning homemade ice cream and brain freezes.
- Visiting my grandmother in the assisted living apartment in Newton – taking her out to lunch at the local truck stop.
- Spending the entire day at the Lockheed pool, catching my girls off the side, over and over again. Remember the concrete turtle in the wading pool? Remember my sore arms the next day?
- Playing my flute in the city’s memorial park to honor our veterans.
- Flying the flag and decorating the house in red, white and blue.
- Hoping I will one day attend the Memorial Day Concert in D.C. But we often watch it on the telly.
- Working in the garden.
- Making Texas sheet cake.
- Spending quality time with family.
This year, RM’s older brother and his wife are visiting us and we plan to vacation in Fort Worth enjoying the Botanic Gardens, our great museums and restaurants, and walking along the Trinity River. What are your plans? Be safe, use bug spray, and wear sunscreen. Happy beginning of summer 2016. What adventures will it bring?